Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pumpkin Maple Ricotta Cake

Ok, so my latest infatuation is Ricotta. It is such a flexible cheese, used for main dishes, appetizers, desserts and more. Almost everybody knows what a Ricotta Cake is, even if you haven't ever tried it. It is a very dense cake, very similar to a pound cake and is usually served with seasonal fruit on the side or on top. The main difference, is the level of moisture. The Ricotta gives the the cake almost a "spongy" texture. In fact its so moist, that I always get this mental image ringing it out, just like sponge. The most common twist on the Ricotta Cake would be the Lemon Ricotta Cake, which brings me to my point. I was researching Ricotta recipes the last week, and decided to search for Pumpkin Ricotta Cake recipes. Surprisingly I found nothing. I found lots of pumpkin recipes and lots of ricotta recipes, but nothing that combined the two. This being the Fall season and with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I decided to make up my own Pumpkin Ricotta Cake. I compared several ideas and recipes and then proceeded......with caution. As usual, in my enthusiasm I made a few changes as I went along. The result was nothing less than fabulous. It baked evenly, came out of the pan smoothly and tasted like everything that you imagine Fall tasting like. So, what did I do to make this cake. First, let me explain I am not going to give out my recipe. Because as everyone knows, once that happens it is no longer unique and anybody can make it. However, I am going to tell you the key to making your own. Find a recipe for a good Ricotta Cake and make the following changes: 1. Whatever amount of Ricotta the recipe calls for, use half the amount and replace the other half with pureed pumpkin; 2. Replace whatever flavoring they use in cake (either a mix of vanilla and lemon or almond) with half vanilla and half maple; 3. Replace a third of the amount of white sugar with brown sugar; 4. Add 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg; 5. Add 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1/2 tsp maple flavoring to your powdered sugar glaze.
Ok, As you will notice in the picture, the icing is thicker than the usual powdered sugar glaze. I had three tablespoons of butter left and didn't want to wrap it up or waste it, so I blended it in to my glaze. I also used half and half instead of regular milk, so it made a thicker/fluffier glaze. I would prefer in the future to use a regular powdered sugar glaze. This cake is very rich and would do just fine without the glaze, period. But, if you must have a glaze, I would recommend a plain powdered sugar glaze without the butter.
Not many people are going to have this on their table for Thanksgiving Day, but it would put a fun twist in the usual variety of desserts.
For any of you that try this idea, feel free to post the results on here.

Pumpkin Maple Ricotta Cake


No comments:

Post a Comment