Friday, November 12, 2010

Eggs Easy Over........Pizza, Please.

Ok, let me start by explaining that I am a fanatic about leftover pizza for breakfast. In fact I get excited about having pizza for dinner, simply because I know there will be leftovers for breakfast. Normally I want it cold, straight from the "ice box" (as my Nana Rosie always called it), but there is the rare occasion that it sounds good reheated. This, morning I was in an odd mood. I wanted something different for breakfast, but also wanted something traditional, not to mention last night was pizza night, so I knew that there were tasty leftovers..............what to do? I KNOW! Combine all three!
1. Leftovers: I placed a slice of the cold pizza straight on the rack of the oven (preheated to 350 degrees)...............oh and while it is heating, I will go ahead and tell you what kind of pizza it is. Instead of the red sauce, I used basil pesto, with a layer fresh spinach leaves, followed by thick fresh slices of mushrooms, crumbled feta cheese, and a thin layer of mozzarella. Ok, now that the pizza is done heating, I will tell you the rest.
2. Traditional: One egg, easy over and seasoned with a little pepper.
3. Something Different: I placed the egg on top of the now devinely crusty pizza. I heated about 2 tablespoons of the red sauce (also leftover) and poured it straight over the egg, and for the final touch sprinkled the top with 1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan cheese. The result: Quite possibly a new favorite breakfast oddity. When the yoke of the egg burst and spread with the sauce over the pizza, my taste buds began to dance!
Now, I realize that this is going to sound completely unappealing to some people, my own mother looked at me like I was crazy (and I had my doubts as well), but you will never know until you try something. This breakfast dish fit quite well in between, crazy thrown together Italian breakfast and unique modernized Food Network material.
I would love it, if some of you would try this sometime and post some feedback about your experience. In the meantime here is a picture of the experiment.

Egg Easy Over......Pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment