Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Last Minute Groom's Cake

So, this past weekend I had a last minute cake request for a groom. They wanted Red Velvet Cake and Whipped Cream Icing. They didn't care how big it was or how I decorated it. So, obviously I had a lot of lead-way with this cake. Always a plus! I have noticed too much variation in Red Velvet Cakes, as far as the decorating part goes. Almost always, it's plain white icing, nuts pressed into it or cake crumbs. I decided to be a little different and pour chocolate ganache over the top. This would add a little "zing" to the cake and take away from the plainness of whipped cream icing. I wasn't sure how long the cake would be sitting out, so I was worried about doing just whipping cream and powdered sugar (like I always do). So, I researched the Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing and found a recipe I liked. It definitely helped with "weeping" problem that can happen after sitting out to long. It was way fluffier than normal.
Stabilized Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 tsp unflavored gelatin
2 T cold water
1/3 cup powdered sugar
In large bowl, combine cream and vanilla. In small saucepan, evenly sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute to soften. Cook over medium-low heat until gelatin completely dissolves, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat.
With mixer at medium-high speed, immediately  begin beating cream mixture. Beat about 1 minute, until thickened  and soft peaks just begin to form. Beat in powdered sugar, then beat in dissolved gelatin in a thin steady stream. Beat until stiff peaks form but mixture is still soft and smooth; do not over beat.
Yield: Almost 4 cups
 

Note: In whipped cream frosting there are far less calories then in a buttercream or cooked frosting. There are only 30 calories per serving in this recipe as opposed to the 75-100 calories per serving for other recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment