Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cream Tuna Over Toast, A True Food Memory

Cream Tuna Over Toast, everybody's grandmother or mother have made this for their kids and grandchildren.  Yet, somehow there is always somebody that hasn't heard of it. This was a favorite quickie meal that my mother made for me and my four brothers while growing up. It was filling, went a long ways and though it may sound a little "fishy" it always tasted amazing!
Today, I decided to make it for my husband. He gave me the famous "sideways stare," that was questioning if I was still sane. I reassured him that it was good, and continued to reassure him as he walked away with a full plate and turned up nose. Turns out, he liked it. I would love to say that he "loved" it but I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.
I have researched Cream Tuna quite a bit, and have come up with very little details on its origin. I do know that it was common to make during the WWII period. It gave the household with limited food the ability to make protein go a long ways.
So, here it is. No cream soup bases and no quick routes, because it's already quick enough.
Cream Tuna over Toast

1/2 c. butter + 2 T
1/2 c. flour
4 c. milk
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
3 regular cans of tuna, drained
3 boiled eggs, chopped or mashed
2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
bread, for toast (preferably a thick crusty bread)
Melt 2 T of butter of medium heat. Once the butter starts bubbling, add the celery and saute till tender. Set aside.
Melt the remaining butter over med-low heat until melted, being careful not to heat too high and burn it. Add the flour and stir until it starts ‘sizzling’. Gradually add milk and whisk till thickened.
Add tuna, seasonings, egg and celery. Stir well. 
If you would like to save on milk, you can do 3 parts milk to 1 part water (with the recipe above, that would be 1 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. water) but I would not try half water and half milk.
Toast bread and pour Cream Tuna over it. 
There you have it, a simple and amazingly tasty dinner that takes very little in ingredients and time!

No comments:

Post a Comment